Environmental Concern and Innovations
Tree Plantation: University has initiated 'One Student One Tree' initiative in 2019-20 which is linked with their degree. Thus as many as 1000 trees have survived under the programme during the session 2019-20. For the next session the target for plantation is fixed at 2000.
Plant Nursery: A plant nursery is established to propagate saplings of various plant species. A short term certificate course is also introduced in it. The initial production capacity of the nursery is 5000 saplings per year.
Vermi Compost: A vermiculture unit has been set up in the campus with the capacity of the production of 30 ton. This compost is useful for the improvement of the soil quality as well as an alternative for inorganic fertilizer. The compost is upgraded by adding symbiotic fungus Trycho Derma which act as a fungicide and Azitobacter bacteria which improve the nitrogen fixation activity in soil. A certificate course is introduced to educate and train the young folks.
Organic Farming: 10 acres of the land has been earmarked for cultivation of the vegetable for the consumption of the university mess, staff and students. Vermi compost is exclusively used for the farming and insecticide and pesticides are a taboo here.
Rain Water Harvesting: Three rainwater harvest structures have been constructed to collect the total roof water of various university buildings. The size of these structures is 100’X30’ each. This water is used for horticulture, ornamental fish culture and pearl culture.
For pure drinking water: 4 covered wells are constructed where the rain water of the university central office and some staff quarters is being harvested for drinking purpose of the staff and students. The size of each well is 15’X40’.
Pearl Culture: Fresh Water Pearl Culture was initiated in 2019 where Unio (Lamilidance marginalis) is used to culture designer pearls. It is underway in the rain water harvesting structures of the campus. It is a demonstration model to increase the income of local farmers from harvested rain water at their place.
Ornamental Fish Culture: It is conducted in the harvested rain water of the campus along with the pearl culture which may further increase the income of the farmers and be used as a model for optimum utilization of the rain water. Ornamental fishes are used as a component of interior decoration.
Button Mushroom Culture: It was initiated as a certificate course from the session 2020-21
Kidajari: It is a super immunity booster (Himalayan Mushroom) which is particularly useful for deadly diseases like Cancer and HIV patients. Its pharmaceutical product is used in various medicines and is consumed by Athletes for instant energy boosting. The estimated cost of the product is in the range of Rs 1.5 to 2 lakh per kg. It is cultured in the Biotechnology Lab of the University.
Defense Academy: The University under its parent organization is running a defense academy where the students are being trained for defense service along with their regular studies. The obstacle course of the academy is also used for various athletic activities under the guidance of the expert trainers.
Social concern during the Corona Pandemic:
On March 26, 2020 when the first case of Corona was diagnosed in the town, the University in collaboration with the SBLD Ayurved college of the parent organization started to conduct the following activities:-
1. Sanitization of the town and all Govt. building, schools/colleges of Sardarshahr Tehsil: About 50 tonnes of the Sodium Hypochlorite were provided to the civil administration and village panchayat which were involved in the activity of sanitization. Four fumigating machines supplied by the University to sanitize the town and 11 quarantine centers of the Tehsil.
2. Establishment of Quarantine Centre: In all the hostels of the University lodging, boarding and medical facilities were provided to the quarantined persons for a period of about six months. The needy were provided the transportation facility to go to their distribution.
3. Establishment of Covid Care Center: The Ayurveda College of the Parent organization established the Covid centre where 1432 patients were admitted and then successfully treated which an epoch is making achievement. The university staff helped for the logistics to run the center.
4. Mask Production: Masks were produced at a large scale and were distributed among the local people and villagers by students and staff.
5. Distribution of Food: Food packets were prepared and provided by the Central Mess of the University to Corona patients, medical staff and Govt. Staff on duty at the university campus during pandemics.
6. Distribution of Fodder: The stray cattle and Gaushalas of the tehsil were provided with the fodder during pandemics at a very large scale.
7. Production and distribution of an immunity booster Sarv Jwar Har Churna
(i) The production of Sarv Jwar Har Churan was started in April 2020 at a very large scale on war footing as many as 40 lakh pouches of 10 gm. each.
(ii) The decoction of the Sarv Jwar Har Churan was distributed to almost total population of Sardarshahr town
(iii) It was also distributed to villages of the Tehsil through village panchayat and social organization.
(iv) 1.25 lakh pouches were distributed @ of one pouch for each Police Personnel
(v) The pouches were also supplied to the civil administration of the seriously affected cities like Bhilwara, Bikaner, Rajgarh and Jodhpur etc.
(vi) Not only in Rajasthan but also to the Corona Warriors across the country particularly the Police Personnel of Delhi, Ahmadabad and Kolkata etc. The special Police Commissioner of Delhi expressed his gratitude by issuing appreciation letter in this regard.
8. Social service in Kumb Mela at Haridwar: 50 bed hospitals has been allotted to SBLD Ayurved Vishwa Bharati which belongs to the parent organization at Kumb Mela Haridwar where the staff of the university will do social services and will distribute the decoction of Sarv Jwar Har Churna.