Institution Born Out of Dedication
Sardarshahr is well-connected by rail and road – 330 kms west of Delhi, 135 kms east of Bikaner and 260 kms north of Jaipur. The 1,200 acer area of GVM including University.Campus is a vast and verdant oasis amidst an ocean of desert sands and barren land. It is dotted with a multitude of impressive buildings, expansive parks , gardens and play grounds. The environment is healthy and pollution-free.
GVM was founded by Late Shri Kanhaiyalal Dugar, who, after embracing 'sanyas', came to be known as Swami Shri Ramsharanji. He was a man of vision and dedication, an embodiment of universal humanism. He dedicated his life to the cause of education and upliftment of the downtrodden. Inspired by Mahatma Gandhi, he became an exponent of nonviolence and universal brotherhood.
GVM was conceptualised as a rural university 67 years ago. The foundation stone of its University building was laid by Dr. Rajendra Prasad, the first President of India, in 1955. GVM is a conglomerate of various public welfare activities, rural development and educational institutions, including IASE deemed University. The nature and scope of GVM’s activities are extensive. There is a cluster of three social welfare programmes, aimed to serve the physically challenged, underprivileged and the aged. Apart from a primary and four senior secondary schools, GVM assisted 53 surrounding villages through – centres of basic literacy for rural boys and girls since three decades. It ran 12 primary schools and 45 adult education centres in different villages, benefitting over 10,000 rural children and adults, including girls and women. In short, GVM’s outreach programmes have been innovative and beneficial to the socially, financially and geographically-disadvantaged segments. In fact, GVM is the central organization around which a cluster of schools, rural centres, outreach programmes, among others have flourished during the last 67 years. GVM's higher educational programmes started in 1953 through Basic Teachers' Training College, offering the TTC course, as it existed then. The course was replaced by Basic STC in 1954. The degree courses started in 1956, postgraduate studies in 1960, and research (Ph.D) programmes in 1968. The 'Institute of Advanced Studies in Education', one of the premier Institutes in the country today, came into being under the Government of India's Scheme of Education in 1993. It was formally declared as 'Deemed to be University' by the Government of India under Section 3 of the UGC Act, 1956 vide notification F.9- 29/2000-U.3 of 25th June 2002, and UGC notification F.6-25/2001 (CPP-I) of 17th July2002. Its educational facilities include a multi-faculty college for girls and co-education colleges in education, Faculty of Engineering and Technology, Faculty of Humanities and Social sciences, Ayurveda college including panchkarm, yoga, paramedical and other related departments.. There are separate hostels for boys and girls, accommodating 1,000 students. AC rooms are also available on demand. The IASE deemed University, a NAAC accredited institute with 'B' grade, is the core constituent of GVM, entrusted with the higher education portfolio, providing requisite autonomy and support.